One of the biggest landscaping trends of the year is artificial turf grass. What is it? Is it a good alternative to a natural lawn? Here is some helpful information on what artificial turf grass is, installing turf, and how durable it is for your landscape.
What is Artificial Turf Grass?
First, we use the terms synthetic, artificial, and fake when referring to the turf we install. You might see these terms throughout our website and informational posts. What exactly is Synthetic Grass? It is artificial (or fake) grass made of several different materials. Think of it like carpet. In fact, the first artificial grass was called astroturf and made by a carpet manufacturer. More about artificial turf grass:
- High quality blades of grass woven to a backing material.
- Blades of grass are made of Polyethylene and are UV-protected to withstand the harshest weather conditions.
- Lush, life-like feel.
- Several styles to choose from: thick & lush, short & compact, and every thing in between.
- Many different color options.
- Designed for superior water drainage. Well-draining turf is extremely important. Slow-draining turf creates bacteria buildup and leads to odors. Our turf features a proprietary backing with 10 times faster draining than the next turf option – which is absolutely necessary in petscapes, pool landscapes, and anywhere water and odors might be an issue.
Installation requires several steps to ensure proper drainage and maintenance. Some of the installation process includes:
- Designing your Turf Project – includes measuring and pricing
- Ground Preparation
- Installing the Grass
- Infilling the Grass
Learn more about the full installation process here. A few examples of projects we’ve completed are inlaying it to pool decking areas (we call them Turf Ribbons), petscape areas, small yards, balconies, large landscapes, playground areas, sports areas, and more. Furthermore, we help you design the layout of your turfed area and also incorporate other landscaping mediums, such as natural stone, trees, mulched garden beds, lighting and multi-tier landscapes.
Where Can I Put Artificial Turf Grass?
You can put turf anywhere! Some of the most unusual places we’ve turfed are balconies and rooftop patios. Nothing is off limits! It is made to withstand harsh conditions including hot Texas summers and harsh winters.
Is It Durable?
Today’s synthetic grass is made to last 10-15 years with proper maintenance. Also, it does not require the weekly mowing, seeding, sodding, fertilizing and watering of a natural lawn.
Instead, maintenance includes solid waste removal (for petscapes), weekly rinsing, and an occasional deep cleaning. You can rake, broom, and leaf blow any dry debris off of your turf regularly and to keep the blades fluffed up.
Synthetic grass is UV treated to ensure it never fades and will withstand the harshest of conditions. Our turf features non-porous, non-allergenic fibers and antimicrobial infill options to prevent mold, mildew and odor.